University of Kentucky College of Dentistry is the home for the multi-awarded teacher, famous author and clinical director Dr. Jeffrey Okeson. He spearheaded the Mini Residency Program on Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD) and Orofacial Pain Management which is described as a complex problem in dentistry, a program recently completed by Dr. Joyce Ambray, Chief Dentist of Dentaderm.
Dr. Jeffrey P. Okeson has dedicated his career to educating students, residents and clinicians in the areas of occlusion, TMDs and orofacial pain. He has been a full time faculty member at the University of Kentucky for 42 years and is recognized worldwide as an authority in the field of TMD and orofacial pain, lecturing in every state in the USA and 54 different foreign countries. His textbooks have been translated into eleven different foreign languages and have become a standard for teaching throughout the world. His peers have called him the “World Ambassador for Orofacial pain” and is a highly sought after speaker and has given more than 1200 invited lectures throughout the world.
Complexity in TMD and orofacial pain arises from the many problems that can be associated with masticatory function. To effectively manage TMD and orofacial pain disorders the clinician must be able to recognize these disorders from other orofacial pain disorders so that correct treatment can be selected. This course completed by Dr. Joyce Ambray, is a comprehensive review of the multiple factors that relate to TMD and orofacial pain disorders. Treatments based on sound scientific principles were presented where emphasis were placed on diagnosis in order for correct therapy to be identified for each patient. The role of each dental and medical specialty in the management of orofacial pain was thoroughly discussed. As a bonus, participants were provided an introduction to the management of patients with snoring and obstructive sleep apnea by the use of oral appliances.
In a nutshell, after mini residency program, participants should be able to
- Differentiate temporomandibular disorders from other orofacial pain disorders.
- Understand the relationship between occlusion, bruxism and temporomandibular disorders.
- Understand the relationship between cervical disorders and orofacial pain disorders.
- Take a comprehensive pain history and complete a thorough examination for temporomandibular disorders and orofacial pain disorders.
- Understand the role of imaging in the diagnosis of temporomandibular disorders.
- Understand the role of the clinical psychologist in managing orofacial pain disorders.
- Understand the role of the physical therapist in managing orofacial pain disorders.
- Understand the role of pharmacology in managing orofacial pain disorders.
- Understand the role of oral appliances in the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
Dr. Joyce Ambray continuously updates her knowledge to further the improvement of Dentaderm’s services to clients. As such, these programs and courses are part of a continuing education regularly considered to broaden the understanding of Dentaderm experts in the field of Dentistry.